Monday, September 29, 2008

The Lake!

Last weekend, we took a trip to Nana and Pop's friend's lake house. Canaan's cousin Courtney (nine years old and born on the SAME day as Canaan...just nine years later) and the Goodwin family dog (Jenny) were all there. Amongst our many activities (sleeping, eating, pooping, smiling, and the occasional cry), Canaan took her first boat ride! Amazingly enough, this was the EXACT same boat that her DAD took HIS first boat ride on...yes, this boat is 27+ years old and made it's home on a lake in Massachusetts that Tim's grandfather (G-Pop) had a house on. So when Tim was a little tyke, he would fish and swim and row and hunt for frogs on this very same boat.
A little disconcerting seeing as this boat is probably older than me.


And the motor was just as old.





Nevertheless, Pop took me, Canaan, Courtney, Jenny the dog, and Canaan's car seat on an little ride. The car seat was vital to this trip in case we flipped over...I was thinking that maybe the car seat would float and Canaan would be safe.






But I reconsidered that idea and just held Canaan instead, thinking that if the boat flipped I could swim safely to shore with her.


As you can see shore was just 8 feet away or so.


Nothing to be concerned about.



Courtney and Jenny had fun with the tennis ball...Court would throw it, Jenny would run back and forth in the boat to try and get it.


Not fun for me, particularly, because remember, this boat is at least 27 years old and not extremely sturdy. So we quickly had to put a stop to this ball throwing nonsense.






Canaan was just enjoying the ride. Fast asleep, oblivious to the precarious rocking of the boat, oblivious to her mother's constant harping, "Be careful...whoah....I knew I should have brought her life jacket...what was I thinking...watch it...." oblivious to the fact that the dog just leaped across me and landed in her car seat (brilliant move by her mother) getting the stinking thing all muddy.





So finally we got back to shore (not that I don't love boats...next time, I'll feel much safer with a baby life jacket...and a boat that met all the safety regulations of the 21st century), Canaan was definitely pleased.


1 comment:

Jessica said...

laughing as always at your commentary..I can totally hear your voice as I read it...especially the WHOA...

She is so so cute...especially in that little hat! Glad you all made it back safely ashore!